I saw a recipe for a blueberry breakfast cake on Pinterest, and I had to try it! This was 100% someone else’s recipe, but since my blog often features my gradual initiation into the domesticated world, I thought I would share my attempts at cooking, even if not my own recipe.
Here is what you need…
½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
Zest from 1 large lemon
7/8 cup* + 1 tablespoon sugar**
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 cups fresh blueberries
Recipe called for 1/2 cup buttermilk, I had to use about 3/4 cup
* 7/8 cup = 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons
** This 1 tablespoon is for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Grade the outside off of 1 lemon to get some zest.
3. Cream butter with lemon zest and 7/8 cup of the sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
5. Toss the blueberries with ¼ cup of flour.
6. Whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
7. Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
8. Fold in the blueberries and remaining flour.
9. Grease a 9-inch square Pyrex with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
10. Spread batter into pan.
11. Sprinkle batter with remaining tablespoon of sugar. I used a little more than called for.
12. Bake for 35 minutes.
Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
I thought this recipe was absolutely delicious!